What are the common mistakes parents make when helping their children with mathematics?
IN THIS VIDEO I DISCUSS:
- Why speaking about your math horror stories, or how you felt about math in school is giving your child permission to give up, before they start.
- Why showing them the algorithm is robbing them of their learning journey.
- Calling them out on what’s wrong, and the way we do it.
Hightlight! It’s a tweetable!
“Teaching your child the algorithm before they understand the foundations of the skill, robs them of their learning journey. “
KEY TAKE AWAY POINTS
- No more math horror stories.
- No teaching of the algorithm until they are prepared for it.
- Ask them to tell you how they arrived at their answer when it is ‘wrong’.